Tube Headphone Amplifier
- Months of work: Dec 2008
- Approximate Build Time: 2 Weeks
- Max Voltage: 250V
- Max Stored Energy: ~50J
This project was my first amplifier build. I had just previously gotten a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones that are 300ohm impedence, and really needed an amp to drive them well. Due to the simplicity I decided to go with a tube amplifier and followed a common tube amplifier schematic design.
The first power supply produced some 120hz humm in the output however this was solved by adding two additional stages of RC ripple filtering to the B+ high voltage power supply.
This amplifier was used for almost a year, until I discovered it sounded awful and then went solid state. I do not suggest this schematic, it’s a pretty crappy headphone amp.
Schematic (I don’t take credit for this circuit, don’t recall where it’s from)
Point to Point Wiring